A Writer's Den

has been moved to new address

http://leleanajohnson.com/

Sorry for inconvenience...

A Writer's Den: My Greatest Fear As a Parent

Friday, September 24, 2010

My Greatest Fear As a Parent

When Brandon and I got married, our plan was simple, to have fun getting to know each other as husband and wife first, before we decided to have children. Our marriage wasn’t perfect, but we sure did have a lot of fun before the girls were born. We worked hard, so we could play hard. We took trips, and partied with our friends. I don’t even remember cooking before we decided to have children.

Then one day, Brandon let me in on a little secret. He was ready. I’m not sure exactly what went through my mind, but I know I felt really happy and honored that he wanted me to be the mother of his children. Our family backgrounds and life experiences are totally different. Let’s just say he’s from small town USA and I’m from big city USA. It was important to Brandon and I that we get our spiritual house in order, so we embarked on a journey of faith to grow closer to God and to each other. Shortly thereafter, we started trying to have children, and it happened a lot faster than we thought it would. In fact, we were partying at homecoming like two children a week before we found out that I was pregnant.

Now we have been blessed with two beautiful little girls. I love my babies, but what I love more is seeing Brandon walk through the door after a long day of work. I love seeing the smile on his face that never seems to fade. I love the way he stares at me when he doesn’t know I’m looking back out the corner of my eye. I love that he makes me feel so safe in a world that’s full of uncertainty. I love that when I think I look like a train wreck, he thinks I’m sexy. And will actually get mad if I say anything bad about myself. I’m my worst critic, so most of our arguments stem from me being overly critical and him being overly optimistic. He’s the yin to my yang, and my partner in crime. So what is my greatest fear as a parent? My greatest fear is losing my husband. That I will be left to parent our children alone. See Brandon’s job requires that he protect others, and his job is what gives me the most stress. So losing Brandon is my greatest fear.

I would like to know what your greatest fear is. Or what advice can you give me to cope with my greatest fear?




Kludgy Mom


Week 2 Assignment:
1.) Come up with 10 (or more!) writing topics for the Idea Bank.

2.) Next, take any ONE topic from the Idea Bank list and use that as inspiration your post for this week.

Labels: , ,