A Writer's Den

has been moved to new address

http://leleanajohnson.com/

Sorry for inconvenience...

A Writer's Den: Back 2 School Back 2 Blogging: The Discussion Plug-In

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back 2 School Back 2 Blogging: The Discussion Plug-In

credit © 2010 DISQUS
Disqus pronounced “dis•cuss” is a plug-in that works with Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr, Typepad, and Movable Type to name a few. Presently, I use Disqus with Blogger. I did a lot of research before choosing a comment system, and Disqus won me over.

Common myths about Disqus:
Disqus holds comments hostage. Disqus allows it’s users to sync comments locally, so your comments are not being held hostage. In fact, I recently imported all my pre-Disqus comments directly from Blogger into Disqus and exported all of my Disqus comments into Blogger.

Disqus doesn’t work with Akismet. For those using Wordpress, there is an option in settings that allows users to enable Akismet.

What I like about Disqus:
• Hands down, the customer service at Disqus is amazing. If I email help@disqus.com, I always receive a prompt response from a Disqus representative. To top it off, Gianni, the community manager for Disqus has also responded to my questions, and I’m just a little guy.

• Managing all of my comments in one centralized location is definitely a plus. I can also edit those comments.

• Giving my users the ability to login with Twitter, Facebook, and Yahoo.

• The Extra Widgets that allow you to show a combination of Recent Comments, Popular Threads and Top Commentators.

• Comment threading is also another plus that allows me to engage in discussions with my readers. Upon receiving a comment, I am notified within minutes.

I’m sure there’s much more to Disqus, and I’ve got a lot to learn. But so far, as a newbie to the blogging world, I’m extremely happy!

To learn more about Disqus, please visit them here.




Kludgy Mom



Week 1 Extra Credit Assignment:
Blogger and WordPress Plugins and Widgets

Labels: , ,