A Writer's Den

has been moved to new address

http://leleanajohnson.com/

Sorry for inconvenience...

A Writer's Den: I Believe in God Because I Have a Praying Mother

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Believe in God Because I Have a Praying Mother

credit: dvest © istockphoto.com/dvest
ON HER KNEES, EYES CLOSED, HEAD BOWED, AND HANDS CLASPED

With the faithfulness of a child, she falls to her knees.

And with the selflessness of a mother, she prays for me.



If I asked my mother when did my journey in Christianity begin, I am certain that she would say that my journey begin before I was even born. My mother prayed to God for my safe passage into the world, and I was the blessing that she was granted. As a child, I learned to pray as my mother prayed by watching her. In fact, the most memorable moments that I have of my mother is seeing her on her knees, eyes closed, head bowed, and hands clasped firmly together in prayer. Sometimes I would sit beside her on my knees, head bowed, and hands clasps. But my eyes were not closed, and I wasn't praying because I was peeking at her out the corner of my eye wondering "what does she pray for?" Sometimes after she would put me to bed, I would sneak out of my room, then crack open the door to her room and watch her on her knees, eyes closed, head bowed, and hands clasps firmly together. Then one day as we were on our knees, eyes closed, head bowed, and hands clasps firmly together, my mother taught me how to pray my first prayer: READ FULL ARTICLE: I Believe in God Because I Have a Praying Mother

Labels: ,