A Writer's Den

has been moved to new address

http://leleanajohnson.com/

Sorry for inconvenience...

A Writer's Den: Back 2 School Back 2 Blogging: The Discussion Plug-In

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back 2 School Back 2 Blogging: The Discussion Plug-In

credit © 2010 DISQUS
Disqus pronounced “dis•cuss” is a plug-in that works with Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr, Typepad, and Movable Type to name a few. Presently, I use Disqus with Blogger. I did a lot of research before choosing a comment system, and Disqus won me over.

Common myths about Disqus:
• Disqus holds comments hostage. Disqus allows it’s users to sync comments locally, so your comments are not being held hostage. In fact, I recently imported all my pre-Disqus comments directly from Blogger into Disqus and exported all of my Disqus comments into Blogger.

• Disqus doesn’t work with Akismet. For those using Wordpress, there is an option in settings that allows users to enable Akismet.

What I like about Disqus:
• Hands down, the customer service at Disqus is amazing. If I email help@disqus.com, I always receive a prompt response from a Disqus representative. To top it off, Gianni, the community manager for Disqus has also responded to my questions, and I’m just a little guy.

• Managing all of my comments in one centralized location is definitely a plus. I can also edit those comments.

• Giving my users the ability to login with Twitter, Facebook, and Yahoo.

• The Extra Widgets that allow you to show a combination of Recent Comments, Popular Threads and Top Commentators.

• Comment threading is also another plus that allows me to engage in discussions with my readers. Upon receiving a comment, I am notified within minutes.

I’m sure there’s much more to Disqus, and I’ve got a lot to learn. But so far, as a newbie to the blogging world, I’m extremely happy!

To learn more about Disqus, please visit them here.




Kludgy Mom



Week 1 Extra Credit Assignment:
Blogger and WordPress Plugins and Widgets

Labels: , ,